Being arrested for a criminal offence can be a very scary experience. If you are arrested for a crime in Calgary, the first thing you should remember is to keep calm and refrain from becoming upset, yelling, or resisting arrest.
Doing any of those things is only going to make an already bad situation much worse. It is also important to keep in mind that arrestees have certain rights while they are in custody. If you believe that police officers wrongfully arrested you for a Calgary criminal offence, the experienced lawyers at Bourdon Defence may be able to assist. Our lawyers can challenge the arrest based upon the Canadian Charter and formulate a good defence to your charge on your behalf.
Calgary Arrestee Rights
It is important to keep in mind that an arrest is different from being charged with a criminal offence. An arrest typically means that police officers took you into custody on suspicion of a crime. If you have been arrested for allegedly committing a criminal offence pursuant to the Criminal Code of Canada, you have certain rights. Just because you are detained or placed in custody, police officers and investigators are not allowed to simply say and do whatever they want. The most important rights afforded to Calgary arrestees under the Canadian Charter include the following:
- The right to remain silent - Calgary arrestees have a right to remain silent when a police officer or investigator is questioning them, and arrestees can insist on the presence of counsel as soon as possible.
- The right to be informed - Calgary arrestees have a right to be told why the police officer is detaining or arresting them.
- The right to retain a lawyer - Calgary arrestees have a right to be informed that they can hire a lawyer to represent them in their criminal case.
- Availability of a lawyer - Calgary arrestees have a right to be informed about both the availability of legal aid and of duty counsel (i.e., defence lawyers who are governmental employees).
- The right to speak with a lawyer - Calgary arrestees have a right to be informed that they can speak with a lawyer as soon as possible, and that they can speak to the lawyer in private.
Call a Calgary Criminal Defence Lawyer Today for Your Free Consultation
Being arrested for a criminal offence is Calgary is a very serious matter. If you are also charged and convicted of the offence, you can suffer serious penalties, depending upon the severity of the crime. Improper arrests, however, occur every day. If you believe that you have been wrongfully arrested for a criminal offence, the experienced lawyers at Bourdon Defence may be able to challenge your arrest. Our legal team can investigate the circumstances surrounding your arrest and may be able to represent you during court proceedings. To schedule a free consultation and case evaluation with a Calgary criminal defence lawyer, please call us today at (403) 474-4143 or contact us online.