Calgary driving offences, which can range from speeding to careless driving to impaired driving, can have serious short- and long-term legal consequences. The experienced criminal defence lawyers at Bourdon Defence understand these potential penalties and are ready to represent clients facing driving offences.
Our lawyers have collectively represented thousands of criminal defendants over the past 15 years and will be able to help you formulate a successful legal defence to your criminal charge. Our lawyers are also seasoned advocates and litigators and we are fully prepared to stand by each client’s side and represent him in court through the entire process.
Types of Driving Offences
Calgary driving offences may consist of many different types of traffic violations, including:
- Failing to yield to an emergency vehicle
- Exceeding the posted speed limit
- Driving that is deemed aggressive, careless, or reckless
- Drag racing on public roadways
- Fleeing or eluding police
- Failing to stop at the scene of an accident
- Driving while disqualified
- Driving while distracted
Convictions for these and similar offences can result in serious penalties, including hefty fines and lengthy incarceration.
Potential Defences to Calgary Careless Driving Offences
Several potential legal defences may be available to individuals who have been charged with reckless driving, including:
- Clean driving record with no prior reckless driving charges or traffic citations
- Incorrect speedometer reading
- Improperly calibrated speed radar
- Bona fide emergency situations
Calgary Impaired or Drunk Driving Offences
Calgary drunk driving offences are very fact-specific. In order to sustain a conviction, the prosecution must prove the following elements:
- That the individual was driving or operating a motor vehicle;
- That the vehicle was being operated on a public roadway or highway; and
- That the vehicle operator was intoxicated or impaired, based upon the totality of the circumstances.
Available Defences in Calgary Drunk Driving Cases
A good criminal defence lawyer will try and limit or suppress some or all of the prosecution’s evidence. Some of the most common legal defences raised in Calgary drunk driving cases include the following:
- Defective or malfunctioning breathalyzer device
- Improper traffic stop
- Violation of legal rights
- Improper interrogation techniques by police officers or investigators
Possible Penalties in Calgary Impaired Driving Cases
Drunk driving laws are very strictly enforced, and the possible penalties upon conviction may include some or all of the following:
- Licence revocations or suspensions
- Required participation in a drunk driving program
- Installation of an ignition interlock system on the driver’s vehicle
- Increased car insurance rates
Contact a Calgary Criminal Defence Lawyer Today for an Initial Consultation
Careless driving and drunk driving offences may result in serious criminal penalties upon conviction. As such, you need knowledgeable and experienced legal representation on your side at every stage of your criminal proceedings. A good lawyer will be able to ensure that all of your legal rights are safeguarded throughout your criminal case.
To schedule a free consultation and case evaluation with a Calgary criminal defence lawyer, please call us today or contact us online.